Pages: 1
Your gaming history
msgPostApril 8, 2017, 12:46
msg

Big Boss
March 14, 2013, 07:50
Normal topicYour gaming history

Where did it all start for you?

For me it started way back in 1982 before most of you were even a sperm in your dads sack. My parents bought me an Atari 2600 and I played it to death. Ms Pac Man and Kangaroo were the forst games I ever played, I've been hooked ever since.

I quickly moved on to the Commodore +/4 which was pretty crappy except for one amazing game: Treasure Island. It had a few other good games, icicle works, fire ant etc, but most were not as good as the Commodore 64 versions.

Next up I got a Sega Mastersystem, it had Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in and I still love that game. As a whole the Mastersystem wasn't all that great, it didn't have many outstanding games.

Next up was a Commodore 64! This was amazing! You could get bruilliant games for £2.99 because they were on cassette tapes and very cheap. It took forever to load a game though.

Next up was a NES. I got the Mario/Duck Hunt pack. Games were too expensive to have many but I played Mario 1 and 3 to death and got really good at them

Next up was a Sega Megadrive. Outstanding console and game with this one, Road Rash, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Desert Strike.... I don't need to explain the great games it had, I'm sure you already know. Again though, cartridge games were really expensive, so we mostly borrowed friends games.

Then I got a Commodore Amiga! This was a gamechanger. It was so much better than any console or computer I'd had so far. Games were expensive despite being on floppy disc, but you could just copy them in under 2 minutes. I had thousands of games. This is definitely the best gaming platform ever made in my opinion.

To complement my Amiga I got a SNES. Sim City was the reason I bought it, I love that game. Mario Kart, Pilot Wings and Street Fighter 2 were some of my other games but again, carts are expensive and the Amiga had better games mostly.

Then I left school and got a job. For about a year I lost all interest in gaming but my friend brought this new fangled disc console round to my house one day with a Formula One game. I was an instant Sony fan, I went and bought a Playstation the very next day.

Not long afetr this I bought my first PC after seeing my mate across the road emulating snes games. I paid over £1000 and I downloaded every game I could get my hands on, I was hooked on gaming big time during this period, playing all the games I never had chance to before.

When the PS2 was announced I pre-ordered mine and paid £400. I was one of the first 150 or so people in the country to get it. I had no games for ages because I'd spent everything I had on it so I just played a demo disc that came with the system over and over, as well as my PS1 games.

Then I met a girl with nice tits, got a better job, had a kid etc etc, I didn't bother with games much at all until we split up. Then my old friend came around again with another disc system, but this one was from Yankland and had Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic! We actually ended up moving in together and just playing games constantly for about 6 months, it was a good time.

This was about 2005 time, and the Xbox 360 and PS3 were out but I wasn't all that interested. It wasn't until that same friend again brough around his PS3 with Fallout 3. Instantly I was hooked and went straight out and went for a 360.

And that leads me up to the time when I met you guys, at that point all I had was a 360 and a PC.

Bow down before me you peasant!

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostApril 8, 2017, 15:32
Sudertum

Solid Snake
January 26, 2017, 09:54

My gaming history started later despite beeing older than msg.
First conctacts with videogaming (~1990) were a simple boxing on Mastersystem as i recall and Donald Ducks Playground on an unknown (to me) console.
On xmas 1991 i got a NES with Super Mario and Tetris on one cardrigde beeing infected by gaming instantly. As the console was already outdated i got a Super NES in 1993 then.
In 1994 i had my first pc, leaving behind consoles from now on due prefering strategy Games.
Spend a lot of time on ps1, ps2, ps3, gameboy (gbc), n64, wii and 360 but didn't owned them, these were mostly my brothers ones (aka Gynagi) who found one day a site called unikgamer which i joined directly after him.
Now my fifth pc exists and i am typing This on a Smartphone!

msgPostApril 8, 2017, 15:59
msg

Big Boss

Are you really older than me? Holy balls! I bet your first PC was a hand me down from Noah.

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostApril 8, 2017, 16:52
Sudertum

Solid Snake
January 26, 2017, 09:54

Yeah comparing 1st and 5th pc is like a joke...
8MB vs 7GB RAM
25MHz vs 4167 MHz processor
500MB vs 1000GB harddisc...

msgPostApril 8, 2017, 16:58
msg

Big Boss

You should tell us about your PC here: http://betweenlifeandgames.com/forum/talk-group1/general-discussion-forum2/what-pc-do-you-have-thread243/

I remember my first PC was a pentium II 350mhz processor. Now I have 4 processors running 10x that, and they're overclocked :D

Dogshit > OoT

yrogerg123PostMay 24, 2017, 02:57
yrogerg123

Solid Snake
March 30, 2014, 14:03

Pretty sure I got my Sega Genesis when I was 7 or 8. Played some sonic, but I really like sports games at that point. I remember having NHL 94 and playing the shit out of that. I had a baseball game that I really liked (MVP maybe?) and a football game too (not madden, I think it was QB club, but that might have been N64).

Somehow I seemed to miss all of the major titles. I never had a Nintendo or a Super Nintendo. Never had PS1. I had an N64 but never played Smash or Mario 64. Had Zelda OOT but I never got past the water temple. Played the shit out Golden Eye but always kinda sucked. Had a PS2 and played GTA3 and GTA:VC. Never got too far in San Andreas.

My most played game ever was probably Halo 1. Did a ton of multiplayer with groups of friends. We'd even run a cable with two xbox's in different rooms to play 4v4. Pretty awesome times.

Other than those I really didn't play many exclusives. I'm pretty sure the first RPG I ever played was Star Wars: KoTOR, back in high school. That genre pretty much passed me by completely until I built a PC after college and got into Mass Effect. That's when I went through a list of games that most people would recommend highly: Portal 1 and 2, Half Life 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2. Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Batman AA, The Witcher. Probably missing a few. That's when I started to really see what gaming offered as an art form and a story telling medium.

But then I got busy with work and stopped gaming for a number of years. It's only fairly recent that I got back into games. Just beat Fallout: NV. Need to pick up a new game. I have a pretty good backlog to choose from after years of Steam sales. I know Vlado would want me to play Metro 2033. Others I'm considering are Saints Row 4, Wolfenstein: New Order, The Talos Principle, and Fallout 3.

And suggestions of those would be cool, without spoilers I'd like to know what gameplay is like and what I'd be in for. I just picked those up because I'd heard good things. Obviously I know Saints Row 4 and Fallout 3 from playing recent installments in the series, but the others I don't know much.

Anyway yea, that's my gaming story.

VladoPostMay 25, 2017, 12:11
Vlado

Administrator
March 12, 2013, 21:40

Oh, great thread!

Let's see... When I was like 5, I'd go to the local arcade with my parents and there were only really old games like Galaxian and such. I really liked a monochrome football/soccer game that was played with these wheel-like things you rolled with your fingers - one for up-down movement and one for left-right... I think it was for 2 players only... Yet I spent some coins trying to score a few goals. Then, as the 90s started, they'd gradually upgrade the arcade machines and I enjoyed games like E-Swat and The Punisher by the time I was 12-13... There were several arcades around the town, I suppose they must've made decent money off kids like me. Meanwhile, I got an Atari 2600 at the age of 10. At that time, some other kids in Europe were playing SEGA Mega Drive... (I only got that when I was 15 and I'd saved up allowance for a few months.) The Atari had 128 games built-in and I played it a lot, some neighbour kids were coming over to play, too.

3 years later, I got a bootleg NES for Christmas, and soon enough I got a Captain Tsubasa II cartridge... :) Of course, by then I'd already beaten the game by renting NESes and a multi-game cart which also had TMNT3: The Manhattan Project on it from a local gaming club. But it was a pleasure to finally own it and play it as much as I wanted. Speaking of gaming clubs, many console clubs popped up around the town between 1994 and 1998. At first 8-bit NESes, but then mostly SEGA Mega Drives, later even PlayStations. They were really popular and kinda replaced the arcades. You could play there for a fee, or just rent the consoles and games. So many wonderful memories renting NESes and playing with my brother... Since it was 24-hour rental, we'd often wake up very early and go to play as much as we could before we had to return it... But by the turn of the millennium many kids had computers already, and that business died down. Back to my own NES, I also found games I really treasure to this day, like Dick Tracy and Little Ninja Brothers. And of course, the amazing Nekketsu games, easily the best NES series.

Like I mentioned, I got a Mega Drive when I was 15 and played that a lot, too. Funnily, I changed a few while the warranty was still up. I broke the first one tinkering while thinking there was something wrong with it because my FIFA saves kept getting erased (it was probably just a shitty battery). Then the next one had some issues restarting while playing Dune: The Battle for Arrakis - the first RTS game I ever played (and 2nd ever created). Another truly remarkable game I found on the Mega Drive is Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - a seafaring adventure RPG. You could be a trader, a pirate, whatever you wanted. You could just stray from your character's story (there were 6 characters to choose from, each with their own story to follow) and pillage the seas for years if you wanted... Really neat.

Then, in the last year of high school, I got a computer, and for a while I played PC games like Diablo II, FIFA 2001, Max Payne... I really played FIFA a lot for a year or so. Then my brother continued, it was the last big game he kept playing. Then, I discovered emulation and played the likes of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Then PlayStation ones like Chrono Cross, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics, later Xenogears. As for Final Fantasy VII, once we'd jumped past the dial-up internet and speed was sufficient to download it, I played the PC version, particularly the "Ultima edition" I found on some torrent site. That was some 7 years after it'd come out. Truly a timeless game. Final Fantasy Tactics was also great, and a bit later Xenogears really astonished me. I'd already started work when I played it, and I remember I kept thinking about the story, characters and what would happen next regularly on my way to work. That was amazing. No game has had such an impact on me so far, although the Metal Gear series come close.

More recently, I got a PS3, my first and probably last PlayStation console, in November 2008. I made sure to get the PS2-backwards compatible model, though it was obscenely expensive compared to the non-BC ones that had just come out. It was something like 30% more expensive. It's still working well... Getting close to that fated 10-year lifespan. Though it's not getting played much recently. I got a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. I'd only played 1 and 2 beforehand, the PC versions. I really wanted to see Snake defeating the Patriots... Of course, upon playing MGS3 I'd realise Snake was but a poor man's Big Boss. :) I loved MGS4 and the conclusion it brought. Aside from that, I can't say PS3 brought many amazing games to me, though. I really liked Mirror's Edge and some older things like the Katamari games, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X... The most memorable games of that period are actually the PS2 Xenosaga series - spiritual successor to Xenogears that couldn't quite match it, but came pretty close and I was delighted. Of course, I played two of those emulated on PC - only the second one had come out in Europe.

In autumn 2011 I also got a PSP which I played a lot while on the metro to work... I beat things like FF Type-0 and other PlayStation RPGs such as Grandia and Parasite Eve on it. Nowadays I'm mostly using it as a Captain Tsubasa II machine... :D

And here we are today... I have a child and I'm down to playing less than 10 games per year. But it's not so bad. As long as I can keep playing even a little, I'll be catching up on the great things I've missed. My hope for the future of gaming is close to zero. But there are lots of great things from the 90s and 00s that I still haven't played.

BlackscarPostJune 8, 2018, 03:24
Blackscar

Big Boss
February 17, 2017, 03:59

Something I overlooked until now. Who was responsible for the stories of the Ys series (at least the early ones) because people usually just talk about the music in those Ys games.

It started on the NEC PC-8801 in 1987, created by Masaya Hashimoto (director, programmer, designer) and Tomoyoshi Miyazaki (scenario writer).

He [Tomoyoshi Miyazaki] originally worked with the Nihon Falcom Corporation on Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished and Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter as scenario writer.

His last work with Falcom was Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. After leaving Falcom, Miyazaki, along with Masaya Hashimoto, a former staff member who worked with him on the Ys series, founded Quintet in April of 1989. He currently is the Chief Executive Officer at Quintet. Miyazaki worked on ActRaiser for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

https://isu.wikia.com/wiki/Ys_(series)

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Tomoyoshi_Miyazaki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintet_(company)

Funnily enough Quintet also developed Granstream Saga for the original PlayStation and it had a rather dark ending (but mediocre gameplay imo). Looks like that company hasn't been active for the last 10 years so wonder if guys are even still alive. :lol:

I mean the latest games in the series definitely don't have the "traditional" feel of the earlier games. Ah well.

KlemoibPostJune 8, 2018, 07:23
Klemoib

Big Boss
March 13, 2013, 21:12

Quintet was disbanded long ago. Some of the staff went over into Shade, but they only made a few playstation games (such as granstream saga) and that was the end of them.

....But how can you mention Quintet without mentioning the greatest game of all time?! Terranigma.
Also Illusion of time/Gaia and soulblazer are fucking great too. Tomoyoshi Miyazaki and Masaya Hashimoto were the lead writer and programmer/producer for those games.

KlemoibPostJune 8, 2018, 08:47
Klemoib

Big Boss
March 13, 2013, 21:12

When msg was already passed his prime, I was freshly born.

I grew up in a house of older brothers who already had a nes and a snes. In the early 90s I played duckhunt from my little high chair. I also played mario 1 and 2. I loved those games. I didn't like mario 3 though. I thought it looked too complicated and I didn't like the colour scheme.

I was not allowed to play the snes because it was new and I was a kid who nobody trusted.

When the N64 came out I also had to ask for permission to play. We had Mario kart 64, DK 64, mario 64, goldeneye and Zelda oot. All of those games were like crack to me except for goldenyey. My brothers would mercilessly kill me in goldeneye multiplayer without teaching me the controls. To this day I get cold sweats just thinking about it.

Zelda ocarina of time was my favorite game. I played it all the time but was too scared to beat the first boss so I just explored hyrule on my brother’s file. I just looked at the flowers and stuff and I talked to the villagers. It was the best time of my life. Then my middle brother told me the nes and snes also had zelda games. And I loved the way Zelda on the nes looked, but is was way too hard for me so I just looked at the pretty figures on the screen.

After all that I got my own N64 and played Ocarina of Time to death. My friends had pc games like sims and rollercoaster tycoon. I played those a lot too. They were and are great games. I still play them from time to time.

When the gamecube came out I was still playing my n64 and looking at all the flowers in Zelda. Then my brother told me the gamecube also had Zelda. I had no idea what a gamecube was but I wanted one.

I did ask myself 'where do all these game machines come from and why are they hidden from me?'. To me all consoles were the same generation. I had no idea the nes was older than the n64. I just thought they were different consoles for different type of games (pretty flat blocky games).
I played jet set radio future on my brothers xbox and loved the shit out of that game. I also remember seeing a dreamcast in the wild and I was very intrigued by this strange console I had never seen before, but my brother said to ignore it (probably because dreamcast was at it's deathbed by then)

Then the internet came and I learned there was a thing as 'console generations'. I tried being hip and trendy keeping up with new games, but deep inside I still believed all games were the same generation and old games were just as fun as the new games. I ended up exploring all the games I was never allowed to play on the snes and other consoles like playstation and dreamcast.

To this day I am still discovering new old games and I still have my n64 hooked up to play Ocarina of time.

While most people throw out their old games and replace them with new ones, I just get more and more games to choose from. Old, new, It's all the same to me. The only new think I always look out for is a new Zelda game because I'm a shameless Zelda whore.

My gaming goal is to weed out all games I don't truly enjoy and find ones I will love for life. I'm getting better at it. I don't just jump on any game that gets good reviews as before. I do my research and try to see if I would like it. If I buy a game I don't truly love, I'm ebaying that shit. Good riddance.

VladoPostJune 11, 2018, 15:55
Vlado

Administrator
March 12, 2013, 21:40
Quote from Klemoib on June 8, 2018, 08:47

Then the internet came and I learned there was a thing as 'console generations'. I tried being hip and trendy keeping up with new games, but deep inside I still believed all games were the same generation and old games were just as fun as the new games. I ended up exploring all the games I was never allowed to play on the snes and other consoles like playstation and dreamcast.

To this day I am still discovering new old games and I still have my n64 hooked up to play Ocarina of time.

While most people throw out their old games and replace them with new ones, I just get more and more games to choose from. Old, new, It's all the same to me. The only new think I always look out for is a new Zelda game because I'm a shameless Zelda whore.

More or less the same goes for me, except the "Zelda fan" part. :) New games are getting worse and worse, in what little time I've got now for games, I always play older ones - older in age, but new for me!

Pages: 1

Latest Posts:

2018 MAC Football Game Preview: Toledo Rockets at Kent State Golden Flashesby: Busted the GreatNovember 17, 2018, 10:47
Gaming News by: rockshardPhDNovember 16, 2018, 01:16
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.178 seconds.
  • RSS Shootbox

VladoVlado
    (Thursday, Nov 15. 2018 22:37)
    She’s losing now. That sucks.
    ertyu1978
    (Thursday, Nov 15. 2018 22:57)
    ya i know
    ertyu1978
    (Friday, Nov 16. 2018 00:06)
    i even voted for tif over meg man x in my bracket
    ertyu1978
    (Friday, Nov 16. 2018 01:03)
    looks like its going to come down to the end of the poll on tifa vs Meg man X
    ertyu1978
    (Friday, Nov 16. 2018 01:26)
    go tifa
    ertyu1978
    (Friday, Nov 16. 2018 01:42)
    well after losing to battlefield i just dont know wht eles to play anymore other then getting ps4 for xmas i did put it on my x mas list
    ertyu1978
    (Friday, Nov 16. 2018 02:39)
    he tifa beat meg man X in case your woundering what im doing now im watching hockey game Devils vs Flyers game on
    ertyu1978
    (Saturday, Nov 17. 2018 18:29)
    good kirby is losing to bowser
    ertyu1978
    (Saturday, Nov 17. 2018 21:17)
    darn copyright notices on my youtube channel again
    ertyu1978
    (Saturday, Nov 17. 2018 21:18)
    hows about that sex game drawing of tornadoman with tornadogirl

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »
    You must be signed in to post a comment