Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2 3
The Future of Gaming
VladoPostJune 16, 2017, 17:02
Vlado

Administrator
March 12, 2013, 21:40
Hot topicThe Future of Gaming

Yeah, it could work for story mode. It'd just be a bit unnatural considering you know the character's got many more moves in VS mode.

msgPostJune 16, 2017, 19:34
msg

Big Boss
March 14, 2013, 07:50
Quote from Blackscar on June 16, 2017, 16:19

Future of fighting games from shootbox discussion

Was to lazy to split my message up cuz I'm on cellphones

At first I was going to agree with you Vlado but then I remembered forcing fighting games into specific patterns is exactly what makes them stale. I like the dead or alive franchise but basically it's the same ass game from dead or alive 2 through 5. Mortal Kombat actually does different things with fighting mechanics and story between iterations even with its staple features.

So I wouldn't immediately reject rockshards idea even though it might seem inconvenient to not have all your moves at the start.Maybehe'sinontosomething.Havingrpg mechanicslikepowerupgrades might be too slow for a vs or arcade mode but I could see it working for story mode.And it's more natural to have charactersgrow more powerfulas the storyprogresses.

I remember playing a Mortal Kombat with a story mode and it was fun.

I'm not a fan of fighting games, it's just practice, practice, practice! I just paid money for this, you're supposed to be entertaining me! RPG mechanics sound great to me, you'd learn as you went along and have fun at the same time.

Bow down before me you peasant!

Dogshit > OoT

VladoPostJune 16, 2017, 21:42
Vlado

Administrator

I really like the fighting game genre itself. Don't play it much, especially lately. And I've never been very good at them... But the one-on-one battle of pure skill is a very intriguing concept. And I love SNK fighters, like the Samurai Shodown and King of Fighters series...

msgPostJune 16, 2017, 21:50
msg

Big Boss
March 14, 2013, 07:50

My favourite fighting game is SF2 but I don't play against others, I've only ever done the story thing. It just doesn't interestvme playing humans.

Bow down before me you peasant!

Dogshit > OoT

rockshardPhDPostJune 18, 2017, 06:24
rockshardPhD

Solid Snake
January 6, 2017, 07:02

SF3 is better. The hadoken and shoryuken are much much less finicky starting with SF3 onwards. Playing SF2 is like playing SF3 with a fail rate built in. But I guess that's great if you like your attacks randomly not working.

VladoPostJune 20, 2017, 15:23
Vlado

Administrator

KoF 2003 remains my favourite fighting game 14 years later...

SudertumPostJune 24, 2017, 20:40
Sudertum

Solid Snake
January 26, 2017, 09:54

Don't care much of fighting games, remember playing Street Fighter on Super NES though.

The tendency of future gaming is to get to squeeze hundreds of $ or € out of you as new content of this game gets released every few months. Getting tired of this, tend to play "older" games more and more...

BlackscarPostJune 25, 2017, 08:33
Blackscar

Big Boss
February 17, 2017, 03:59

Sudertum it's only natural for the developers and their management companies to want to get paid for new content. Gaming is not really a charity business and they've had to develop lots of countermeasures towards piracy over the years. I'm sure the "coolest" developers still like the fact that pirates are enjoying their games and spreading their ideas and works of "art/entertainment" but they just wish they got paid (more) and have (more) royalty payments. But unless the key developer people are really smart financially, they're likely to be excluded from big royalty checks too and it's some managing company or middleman that gets the biggest cut. Now some gamers are known to be a little cheap with habits like piracy, borrowing games from friends and the public library and borrowing/renting/buying used games. They do need to find new ways to "squeeze" money out of gamers. So I think World of Warcraft worked pretty well with its subscription model since they were able to add several expansions.

The same with the Pokemon franchise. The developers kept adding new Pokemon and new maps and released new games to satisfy Pokemon addicts lol. Same thing with Microsoft Apple Adobe Google. Of course cheaper versions of their hardware/software exist but let's face it. You got to pay/subscribe/upgrade to get their higher quality "commercial/retail" stuff.

I agree for content you already paid for, you should not be forced to pay more. Major bugs also need to be patched freely of course. And it would be awesome if legacy software/games was always backwards compatible on newer devices/Operating systems. The gaming industry is another service industry for entertainment/education and usually you need to pay for entertainment and education. Especially high-quality entertainment and high-quality education. Just be aware of those scams where they try to sell you overpriced crappy games. Take for example when the older practice of hiring voice-actors off the streets. The quality is not good and it would be like hiring some guy off the street to be your fool for the day or your teacher for the day. :lol:

SudertumPostJune 25, 2017, 10:16
Sudertum

Solid Snake

I wasn't moaning about the profit goals itself, how it is done annoys me. Then i grew up purchasing a game meant you got a full playable version of a game. As times changed such things changed too. Looking on Steam for recently released games from my favorite developer/publisher Paradox Interactive i am lacking words. Offering a version of HOI4 for 89€! is criminal not counting the existent DLCs for 36€ yet. As retailer versions are disappearing this won't get less.

BlackscarPostJune 25, 2017, 10:39
Blackscar

Big Boss
Quote from Sudertum on June 25, 2017, 10:16

I wasn't moaning about the profit goals itself, how it is done annoys me. Then i grew up purchasing a game meant you got a full playable version of a game. As times changed such things changed too. Looking on Steam for recently released games from my favorite developer/publisher Paradox Interactive i am lacking words. Offering a version of HOI4 for 89€! is criminal not counting the existent DLCs for 36€ yet. As retailer versions are disappearing this won't get less.

Did you see the post from CEO of Paradox Interactive? They seem to be having difficulties adjusting their pricing strategy because of Steam's Summer Sale? I'm not sure what prices were like before and after the rollback. Have to read a bit more.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/22/15856720/paradox-price-increase-rolled-back-steam-summer-sale-fredrik-wester

EDIT: Ok so it seems they tried to raise prices but decided to reverse the changes. Interesting.

BlackscarPostJune 25, 2017, 11:02
Blackscar

Big Boss

Multiple-price points is just how things work in life. Some person will pay $3500 for a vacuum cleaner and another person will pay $1000 for the same vacuum cleaner. I've seen this happen. :lol: It's all about the salesmen and the sales tactics. Early-release, pre-release, art-books and a bunch of cosmetic extras, DLC season pass is all part of the gaming companies strategy to exploit their most rabid fans. You've heard the stories, these fans want it ALL NOW! And if they're loyal fans of the company/series they will even put up with annoying bugs for a few weeks/months because they believe the company will eventually resolve those outstanding issues. I won't fault these fans. I think many of them will enjoy what they are getting. Early release or buying on release day is very important for the "competitive scene" (playing during alpha and beta stages is even better). The more time they spend with the game, the better they get for online competitions and fights. The cosmetic extras give them a sense of being "superior/elite" players because they can afford the extras/extravagances/luxuries. I think a lot of times the cosmetics actually do help them in game because other players may be intimidated by their "prestige" even if the cosmetics don't actually give them statistical or in game bonuses. Pay to play and Pay to win are industry norms ... can't really help it because it does have analogues in real life. The game developers have every right to satisfy their "best" customers ... the ones that will pay them the most or do promotional work for them. Paid game reviews ... it's all related.

It's also about your personal level of excitement with these games. If their pre-release teasers etc. really get you hooked you're likely to pay any price they ask. I would be surprised if some of them don't even go higher into the $1000+ dollar range, but those kinds of "customers" should probably be making phone calls and deals to invest with the company. I'll pay you $100,000+ dollars, give me early access to your game, I'll sign and abide by the NDA of course, get back to me!"

SudertumPostJune 25, 2017, 11:33
Sudertum

Solid Snake
Quote from Blackscar on June 25, 2017, 10:39
Quote from Sudertum on June 25, 2017, 10:16

Did you see the post from CEO of Paradox Interactive? They seem to be having difficulties adjusting their pricing strategy because of Steam's Summer Sale? I'm not sure what prices were like before and after the rollback. Have to read a bit more.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/22/15856720/paradox-price-increase-rolled-back-steam-summer-sale-fredrik-wester

EDIT: Ok so it seems they tried to raise prices but decided to reverse the changes. Interesting.

Had no clue about that, thanks for the link.
At least Paradox seem to see then they cross the line...

VladoPostJune 26, 2017, 19:26
Vlado

Administrator

As games are more and more expensive to make, they try to find all kinds of ways to get their money back. I think the solution is simple - game budgets should be cut down. You REALLY don't need 1000 people to make an AAA title.

SudertumPostJune 26, 2017, 21:25
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Agree, it don't need a budget of hundreds of millions too, bigger doesn't mean better at the end!

VladoPostJune 27, 2017, 10:26
Vlado

Administrator

I think it's more or less a problem of the entire world economy... Some would really like us to believe that economic growth must be infinite and never-ending... I think that's crazy. Nothing can grow permanently. There are times of growth, but also inevitably times of scaling down.

With games, they should focus less on graphics and polygons and more on innovative ideas that enhance the medium... But there's also the fact that gaming serves as a tool for PC/GPU sellers to peddle their newest hardware... It's a vicious circle.

SudertumPostJune 27, 2017, 17:41
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Yeah the idea a neverending grow of economy is stupid, as there is always a limit earlier or later.

For gaming, the tendency seems to be for graphic whores but that is not everything. I don't care about a game that only looks beautiful but has crappy game mechanics making it a chore to play. Some people need time to get that...

BlackscarPostJune 27, 2017, 18:23
Blackscar

Big Boss

I think Game developers need to consider health and wellness more when developing future games, including mental health. Too many games use "insanity" or "darkness" as concepts these days. Wii Fit was ok back in the day but now it's just a big piece of plastic lol.

The VR stuff they gotta work on comfort levels so it's not too cumbersome to wear, won't induce headaches or nausea. It also has to be easier to wear and and take off. The stuff these days is ok but they gotta do a lot better.

VladoPostJune 27, 2017, 18:30
Vlado

Administrator

I still haven't tried a new-wave VR game... Don't see the appeal, but maybe I should do it at least to see how it is. Since many people are complaining about nausea, etc., they'll certainly need to work on that.

As for the graphics thing, pretty much EVERY gamer I know says they don't care that much about them, and yet here we are. It boggles the mind. There's certainly a "graphic whore" niche, but is it that big as to be constantly catered to? I suppose it's a mix of that, pretty explosions and the like being very appealing to casuals to get them to buy your game (whether you retain them apparently isn't that important), and the things I talked about previously.

Pages: 1 2 3

Latest Posts:

Deus Ex was right! [SPOILERS]by: VladoNovember 19, 2017, 01:04
What are you currently playing?by: BlackscarNovember 14, 2017, 09:49
Last game you beatby: VladoNovember 13, 2017, 17:30
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.174 seconds.
  • RSS Shootbox

ertyu1978
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 04:00)
    plus you tell them people on gmefqs im not giving up on mss effect im even it now thow i have no idea where i m in the game now thow i cn tell you this much its getting werid
    ertyu1978
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 05:02)
    i just passed feroes i think its world in the game i got chiment for that
    ertyu1978
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 13:21)
    Freeze fedal aganets NCIS bang gose gun
    ertyu1978
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 13:24)
    dam you people of gamefaqs for the last time vlado isnt ertyu0078 you on here know who i relly am like i said im not going anywhere n neither is this channel get used it ill keep the page in till the end of the world and all die in it see ya in 2018
    VladoVlado
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 20:10)
    True, true.
    ertyu1978
    (Sunday, Nov 19. 2017 23:02)
    Freeze fedal aganets NCIS bang gose gun
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Nov 20. 2017 00:53)
    hmm i wounder where do i go next in mass effect after this
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Nov 20. 2017 09:29)
    lol at geat paul video i dont do cosplay viedos or reviews of videogames dumb kirby die you fucking dumb pink ball an woul pople want show off stuff they bought in store on youtube like toys
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Nov 20. 2017 11:14)
    205 videos how spoucliuse is this valent bradley jmes im making everythng go no where
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Nov 20. 2017 11:14)

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »
    You must be signed in to post a comment