Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The Future of Gaming
msgPostFebruary 6, 2017, 09:23
msg

Big Boss
March 14, 2013, 07:50
Hot topicThe Future of Gaming

Let's speculate because it's fun.

I think we've already seen the future with PS Now. I reckon companies will just sell you a cheap streaming box and store all the games on a big super computer. This way they maximise profit and totally do away with used games. I think in 10 years thus will be here.

I like the look of the new VR technology but I'm not sure it'll take off fully, unless the headsets get much smaller and lighter maybe.

I think when this new Nintendo console fails they will just make games instead.

What do you guys think?

Bow down before me you peasant!

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostFebruary 6, 2017, 10:32
Sudertum

Solid Snake
January 26, 2017, 09:54

I am afraid streaming will be combined with DLCs, resulting getting a bill literally for the played content and spent time. This would send old gaming to the graveyard. Not amused about the tendencies right now... :x
(These kiddies nowadays see no point in physical copies anyway)

KlemoibPostFebruary 6, 2017, 10:54
Klemoib

Big Boss
March 13, 2013, 21:12

if you don't have a CRT tv, old games are as good as dead anyways..... I just got my lcd tv and Jesus fuck does lcd suck for old games. The colors look flat, the digital to analog conversion sucks and worst of all, INPUTLAG. Mario 64 is practically unplayable on lcd because Mario’s jump is delayed when playing on lcd.
Yall can keep your fancy flat tv's for new games, but old games are being done a major disservice by being played on lcd. CRT is the only way.

Modern gaming is going through a really ugly teenage phaze. I cannot tell if it will turn into a sexy beast or a big fat pimply mcdonnalds employee.
Could go either way. I'm inclined to think It'll be mccheese though.

SudertumPostFebruary 6, 2017, 11:45
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Gaming now has some odd behaviors nowadays, played Galactic Civilizations 3 recently, a pretty complex game the handling took time. Pretty much everything was under my control therel, but the ship battles not (realtime even in a otherwise turnbased game)? I can design them but giving no orders in battle?

Anyway ,hope these "real time online strategy" games will die out. An attacked opponent has 24 hours time to react! How it that realtime...
My impression is that and more games are made as simple as possible, as if no one should get frustrated from loosing.

rockshardPhDPostFebruary 6, 2017, 12:05
rockshardPhD

Big Boss
January 6, 2017, 07:02

You're wrong about streaming maximizing profit, since publishers would have to pay for the computers running the games as opposed to consumers buying the hardware to run the games locally. I was under the impression that streaming and PS Now failed already (I read an article on the internet so it must be true)

For gaming to succeed there must be a clear emphasis made on single player experiences with clear endings, no microtransaction and minimal to no extra downloads, just plug and play. "Endless" games basically work like fads, the player keeps playing until they get tired of it, which IMO is cancerous for the industry as at the end of the day you just end up with a bunch of people who are tired of it and move on to something else. That said the funny thing about my theory is that online multiplayer technically works on the same premise.

msgPostFebruary 6, 2017, 14:47
msg

Big Boss

The problem with PS now is that it was too expensive. If they cut it to £10 a month I'll be all over it. Netflix is only £7 for the same thing.

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostFebruary 8, 2017, 16:13
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Looking at the default prices of DLCs (at Steam) annoys me everytime. Expecting to get the full game at release seems to be overrated.

VladoPostFebruary 8, 2017, 16:38
Vlado

Administrator
March 12, 2013, 21:40
Quote from Klemoib on February 6, 2017, 10:54

if you don't have a CRT tv, old games are as good as dead anyways..... I just got my lcd tv and Jesus fuck does lcd suck for old games. The colors look flat, the digital to analog conversion sucks and worst of all, INPUTLAG. Mario 64 is practically unplayable on lcd because Mario’s jump is delayed when playing on lcd.
Yall can keep your fancy flat tv's for new games, but old games are being done a major disservice by being played on lcd. CRT is the only way.

Modern gaming is going through a really ugly teenage phaze. I cannot tell if it will turn into a sexy beast or a big fat pimply mcdonnalds employee.
Could go either way. I'm inclined to think It'll be mccheese though.

I don't think old games are unplayable on LCD TVs... Maybe your TV just sucks at it? I've never been a FPS (as in frames-per-second)-obsessed guy, but to me it works just fine...

As for the second part of your post, I really agree. Gaming is rather shit currently. No exciting games, no new ideas, just "safe bets"... The Souls series-like fighting game Ara showed in the chat today is a good idea, I suppose, but much more than just a few half-exceptions is necessary.

KlemoibPostFebruary 8, 2017, 22:36
Klemoib

Big Boss

My tv is not crappy. It's the tech that is just not suited to gaming. First play Mario 64 on a crt and then on an lcd. lcd will delay Mario’s jump but crt has no delay. The action is instant. I guess you can get used to it, but if you're coming off of crt, lcd is really lacking in both the color and the reaction department. Old games really benefit from the tv's they were designed for. Some games like 1080 snowboarding do okay ish, but games that require timing like Mario really suffer. And color fidelity on crt's is also way ahead of lcd, even oled. Maybe I'm being pickey (though I don't consider myself to be so) but the shortcomings of lcd are just really apparent to me.

crt's are dirt cheap now so they are great for retro gaming imo (also the only way to play. REPENT REPENT!).

msgPostFebruary 8, 2017, 22:48
msg

Big Boss

I play my emulators on my 40 something inch flatscreen and they look fine.

Dogshit > OoT

rockshardPhDPostFebruary 9, 2017, 00:44
rockshardPhD

Big Boss
January 6, 2017, 07:02

> emulators

That is why

msgPostFebruary 9, 2017, 09:21
msg

Big Boss

Talking of emulators, I wish all new consoles were backwards compatible. That's another reason I believe streaming games is the future, you'd have access to the entire PS/whatever library and a huge selling point.

Dogshit > OoT

VladoPostFebruary 9, 2017, 10:13
Vlado

Administrator
March 12, 2013, 21:40
Quote from Klemoib on February 8, 2017, 22:36

My tv is not crappy. It's the tech that is just not suited to gaming. First play Mario 64 on a crt and then on an lcd. lcd will delay Mario’s jump but crt has no delay. The action is instant. I guess you can get used to it, but if you're coming off of crt, lcd is really lacking in both the color and the reaction department. Old games really benefit from the tv's they were designed for. Some games like 1080 snowboarding do okay ish, but games that require timing like Mario really suffer. And color fidelity on crt's is also way ahead of lcd, even oled. Maybe I'm being pickey (though I don't consider myself to be so) but the shortcomings of lcd are just really apparent to me.

crt's are dirt cheap now so they are great for retro gaming imo (also the only way to play. REPENT REPENT!).

I get your point. I certainly agree about colours, that much is quite obvious. And yeah, I'm playing on emulators, I haven't tried plugging in my old consoles into LCD TVs, so maybe you're right there, too. :)

msgPostFebruary 9, 2017, 11:56
msg

Big Boss

Does anybody think 3D has a future in gaming?

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostFebruary 9, 2017, 12:36
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Aside of adding something visually apealing, not really! Often enough a game uses 2d as base with some 3d as eyecandy, could be done better sure but that is cheaper. No clue how far the VR uses 3D though, could be awesome or crap...

msgPostFebruary 9, 2017, 12:55
msg

Big Boss

Yeah, is VR 3D? I've never tried it, does anyone know?

Dogshit > OoT

SudertumPostFebruary 9, 2017, 13:45
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Would to know that too. According https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_VR has "3D", was not aware beeing already released for PS4. Aside of Oculus Rift for PC...

msgPostFebruary 9, 2017, 14:20
msg

Big Boss

The PS VR looks amazing un that driving game they have, you can turn your head around and it's just like real driving. If that is in 3D too it'll be fantastic but you can't see that in Youtube videos.

Dogshit > OoT

KlemoibPostFebruary 9, 2017, 18:47
Klemoib

Big Boss

I hope 3d dies soon. It is cute on the ds, but it's nothing more than a gimick. 3d vr could be cool if they do it right (which I doubt) but they are even strugling to not get people sick from vr. 3d vr sickness seems even harder to cure.

SudertumPostFebruary 9, 2017, 19:06
Sudertum

Solid Snake

Isn't motion sickness in Japan pretty common? Causing for FPS games sales going bottomless there...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Latest Posts:

Cheap Soccer Jerseys China by: OsteocktiepokJuly 16, 2018, 13:55
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 1.561 seconds.
  • RSS Shootbox

ertyu1978
    (Saturday, Jul 14. 2018 19:37)
    well so much for me coming back to gamefqs it didnt even last that long anyways lol
    KlemoibKlemoib
    (Sunday, Jul 15. 2018 21:22)
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 00:43)
    well with season hlf iver braves are only game out of first plce
    KlemoibKlemoib
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 07:36)
    rockshardPhDrockshardPhD
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 17:47)
    I’ve been to Arizona and it’s very nice. You’re lucky you get to move there.
    rockshardPhDrockshardPhD
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 17:49)
    It’s not just a desert.
    rockshardPhDrockshardPhD
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 17:52)
    Though it’s always hard to have to move when it wasn’t your decision.
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 19:39)
    like i sid im againstt this moving crap case i rather not go anywhere my youtube videos re more inporting plus i gve up on 2000 videosgams nyways ive only been making videos now you see why i missed 2 years oof spring traing now it well be 3 cse the world ends in 2019
    ertyu1978
    (Monday, Jul 16. 2018 19:44)
    plus ill make a bet the braves wont be going anywhere in 2018 no playioffs there not even showing it they cant even stay in first place

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »
    You must be signed in to post a comment